ZMA is a supplement blend containing Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6. ZMA has shown to have positive benefits for strength training, testosterone, and muscular endurance. We created a guide on the Best ZMA supplements. Read the guide first if you don’t know what ZMA is or why you should consider adding ZMA to your supplement stack.
Take ZMA about an hour before bed on an empty stomach.
The Magnesium in ZMA helps regulate sleep and can make you drowsy. Spend the day building up your sleep pressure through Body, Mind, and Spirit activity, and use ZMA an hour before bed to increase sleep pressure even more.
ZMA is a great alternative to Melatonin, the light regulating hormone which, if added to the body via supplement can turn-off the bodies natural Melatonin production making sleep difficult when no longer using Melatonin. Truly, you should not take Melatonin. Melatonin is NOT sold over the counter in Australia, and many countries in Europe, including the UK.
Some patients in studies on ZMA reported feeling nauseous if they took ZMA with food, so it’s best to take at night once you have stopped eating for the day.
Recommended ZMA Products
- Optimum Nutrition Zinc Magnesium Aspartate for Immune Support, Muscle Recovery, and Endurance (top rec)
- Animal Pack PM – Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin B6 – GBA + AKG – Immune, sleep and relaxation complex (most complete)
- EVL Nutrition Magnesium and Zinc Post Workout Supplement (fine)
- Now Nutrition ZMA (lowest price)
Even though ZMA is a good supplement, you should still consume foods that have Zinc, Magnesium, and vitamin B6.
Zinc containing foods:
- Brown rice
Magnesium containing foods:
- Almonds (also contain zinc)
- Brown rice (also contain zinc)
- Spinach (also contain zinc)
- Avocado (also contain zinc)
Vitamin B6 containing foods:
- Beans (also contains magnesium)
- Brown rice (also contains magnesium, Zinc)
- Avocado (also contains magnesium, Zinc)
- Spinach (also contains magnesium, Zinc)